Can I get an RTIP degree online?

One of the most frequently asked questions is if the Race Track Industry Program (RTIP) degree can be completed by correspondence or if you REALLY have to move to Arizona. The answer is that you DO need to come to the University of Arizona to complete the degree. The rate of employment of RTIP students immediately upon graduation is so high due to the skills and expertise they develop through participation in the opportunities and experiences that can’t be provided in a “distance learning” format.

The RTIP does offer one class that may be completed before coming to Tucson: Introduction to the Animal Racing Industry (ANS 142), a primer on the many aspects of the racing industry. For information on registering for the on-line version of ACBS 142, contact the U of A Outreach College or click directly on the course listing. All of the other racing specific courses must be completed in residence.

How do I become an RTIP student?

Applying to the UA College of Agriculture & Life Sciences is the first step on the road to becoming an RTIP student. For more information review How to Become an RTIP Student.

How long does it take?

The Bachelor of Science degree is a four-year program and the Master of Science degree is a two-year program. Students transferring in credits from other colleges or universities may be able to complete the degree in a shorter amount of time.

How do I apply?

Bachelor of Science:

Admission requirements for the RTIP are the same for the University of Arizona, and will be filed as general admission into the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences as an Animal Science major. Admissions information is found on the UA's website.

Master of Science:

Students must have:

  • A Bachelors degree other than Animal Sciences-Race Track Industry Program Option from the University of Arizona
  • Acceptance by the Animal Sciences Graduate Studies Committee
  • Significant prior experience in the pari-mutuel racing industry

Prospective graduate students must apply to both the Graduate College and to the Department of Animal Sciences.

The Graduate College should receive:

  • An online application is available at the UA Grad College's website
  • The preferred method is online, but you may also download a paper application at this site.
  • International students who speak English as a second language and who have no prior degree from an institution in the United States should submit their TOEFL score directly to the Graduate College. A minimum score of 550 is required for admissions.

The Department of Animal Sciences should receive:

  • Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores are preferred, but Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores are also accepted
  • Three letters of recommendation from instructors or persons qualified to evaluate the potential for graduate school
  • Official transcripts
  • Statement of professional purpose for seeking the degree
  • Copy of TOEFL score, if applicable
Application Deadlines:

Bachelor of Science:

  • Spring Semester November 1
  • Fall Semester: May 1
  • Fall Transfer Students: June 1

Master of Science:

Domestic Applicants:

  • Priority Application Deadline: February 1
  • Priority Application Review: March 15
  • Final Application Deadline: June 15

International Applicants:

  • Priority Deadline: December 1

Do I need prior racing experience?

While prior racing experience can certainly supplement the courses you will take as an RTIP student, no prior experience is required as an undergraduate student. Graduate students should have a significant amount of experience within the pari-mutuel industry.

How much does it cost?

All costs are covered through general UA tuition. An outline of expected costs can be found at the Office of Scholarship & Financial Aid.

Does the RTIP offer scholarships?

Yes! The RTIP offers a wide variety of scholarships, funding coming both internally from the UA & RTIP, as well as external funding sources such as the Jockey Club, XpressBet, other scholarship organizations. Learn more about RTIP specific scholarships.

How do I transfer to UA?

Transferring to the UA is a similar process to the freshmen application, but will require you to send additional transcripts, test scores, and meet different deadlines. For more information, please see the Office of Admissions transfer information.